Sunday 8 November 2009

Welcome


Those of you who are regular visitors to Paul Bailey's Beer Blog will know that one of the things I like doing best is travelling to new or different places, especially when I know there will be some interesting beers to be had at the other end. Alternatively, re-visiting favourite places where the same holds true, also has a strong appeal for me.

I've always enjoyed visiting new pl;aces, but circumstances haven't always allowed me to do so. For the best part of six years I ran my own, successful Real Ale Off-licence. It was fun, but also very hard work. Some evenings, after re-stocking and carrying out the cellar-work, I wouldn't get home until midnight, or even later! And being an off-licence meant having to open 7 days a week, leaving precious little time for family and friends, or indeed any form of home life.

Opportunities for travel were therefore strictly limited, and mainly consisted of invites to trade shows or events such as wine tastings. Getting away meant finding someone reliable to literally "mind the shop", plus also finding the means to pay them. Small wonder then that apart from the aforementioned activities my only breaks from the shop during this time were a 3 day visit to Norfolk, plus a couple of 3 day breaks in first Munich and later on Salzburg.

When my wife and I eventually sold the business, to allow me to return to a more lucrative position in industry, I made a vow to make up for those "lost" six years, and also the years that preceded them when the responsibilities of raising a family didn't always fit in with my desires to go off "beer hunting".

This blog not only describes some of my travels, but also gives tips for the "beer tourist" wishing to cast his or her net a bit further afield. Read on and hopefully enjoy, but also feel free to post comments, either flattering or critical (I can take it!), or tips of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment